Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Apple Cake


     Apples always looks great in the grocery store.  They smell good.  They call to me to buy them so I do.  I eat a couple of them, grow tired of them and store them in the fridge.  So the challenge is to find a use for them, besides eating an apple - or 12 - a day.  My solution is an Apple Cake.  I use my mini-bundt pans but a 9 x 13" cake pan would work too.
     I didn't want to go to the grocery store and risk buying more apples, so I used what I had.  That eliminates almost all dairy products, additional fruits and apple cider.  I found eggs, flour, sugar and a few other staples.  Chester yawned and stretched at the sight of me getting out the flour.  He figured there would be plenty dropped.  He was right.
     This cake isn't super sweet so you if you like a very sweet dessert consider adding powdered sugar or icing.

     Here's the recipe:

1 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4  medium apples - peeled, cored and diced
Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour one 9x13 inch cake pan or 2 mini-bundt pans.

In a mixing bowl; beat oil and eggs with a whisk or electric mixer until creamy. Add the sugar and vanilla and beat well.

Combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and ground cinnamon together in another bowl. Slowly add this mixture to the egg mixture and mix until combined. The batter will be very thick. Fold in the apples by hand using a wooden spoon. Spread batter into the prepared pan(s).

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 minutes for 9 x 13 or 30 minutes for bundt pans or until cake tests done. Let cake cool on a wire rack. Serve when cool.  If using a bundt pan, cool before you turn out.



1 comment:

  1. oooh, I had one of these last night... it was delicious! We put powdered sugar on them, but I wouldn't mind a nice combo cinnamon-y/cream cheese-y type glaze drizzled on top, either. :)

    BTW... your blog layout looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete