Friday, November 22, 2013

Marinated Mushrooms

     If you ever had good marinated mushrooms, you'll love these.  They are exactly what I remember from my favorite canner in Lancaster.  I would buy these and eat the whole jar before I got out of town heading for home.  I didn't think I'd ever find a recipe to mimic those but eventually I was able to change and perfect one of my own. 


I'll save you a lot of time and let you have what I discovered after many attempts.


2 lbs of raw white button mushrooms

2/3 cup vinegar
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup of oil
2 Tablespoons water
1 Tablespoon dried Italian spices
1 clove garlic, minced
1 Tablespoon salt
1 onion sliced 
dash pepper

Clean the mushrooms and cover with water.  Bring to a simmer and continue to simmer for 5 minutes.  

In the meantime, combine the remaining ingredients in a large bowl and stir well.  

After 5 minutes of simmering, remove mushrooms from water and immediately add to marinade.  Refrigerate for at least 24 hours but 48 or more is better.  

I keep these in a mason jar so I can shake them and redistribute the seasonings when I use them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment