Friday, December 6, 2013

Tuscan Beans with Greens

This recipe reminds me so much of the beans that I had in Tuscany, that I just had to name them after that area.  They don't exactly duplicate those wonderful Tuscan flavors because I think the Tuscan women have a way of making their beans taste so rich that it would be impossible to imitate without spending time with them in the kitchen - but this is very close. 


2 Tablespoons of very good extra virgin olive oil
8 small, tender kale leaves
1/2 of a white onion chopped into 1" or larger pieces
1 can of kidney beans and the liquid
raisins (optional)
salt and pepper

The Tuscans make their own olive oil.  Since I do not have an olive tree, I used the best olive oil I could find and put it in a hot pan.  Add the kale and onions and cook until the kale starts to wilt. 

Drain kidney beans, reserving their liquid.  Set aside the kidney beans.  Add the liquid from the beans and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for 5 minutes.

Add the kidney beans to the mixture and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, covered.  If you are adding raisins, add them now and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. 

That's it!  I put it in my salad for lunch....


...and with rice for dinner. 


I think it would also be delicious with cooked sausage mixed in.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment